Friday, June 13, 2008

Contribute your own sacrifice....

I can't claim credit for this picture. That goes to fellow journalists down at the Miami Herald.

It seems a Santeria priest brought in a chicken where fearful scribes could offer sacrifices to keep their jobs.

To make sure our Miami Herald friends can't hog all the good luck that this chicken could bring to South Florida journalists (or any place, for that matter), I offer you a place where you can attach your own sacrifice...electronically, of course.

Here is the chicken. Now make your sacrifice. You don't want to lose your job, do you?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chicken, I offer you beer.

Anonymous said...

I offer a penguin in honor of the transformative change that transformed nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Penguins_Edinburgh_Zoo_2004_SMC.jpg

Anonymous said...

Ooh, nice. I am sure the chicken will appreciate the penguin. "Tasty meat," the chicken said.

Anonymous said...

Great chicken! I offer you the immortal souls of an entire cross-divisional committee charged with synergizing our newsrooms. Peck their eyeballs with special vigor.

Also, a Lee Abrams memo, to be read as a mystical incantation that will summon forth the spirits of capitalization and punctuation.

Erudite Redneck said...

I offer the linotype, monochromatic green computer terminals, typewriters, the O'Colly's press, stories longer than 10 inches -- there is nothing new, not one damn thing new about any of this. The Internet is the glossy magazine-radio-TV-etc. Yet news survives. Newspapers will, too.

BTW, if you want to see exactly how gyrations over content and design, and missing the technology boat are nothing new, and sadly, how it has nothing whatsoever to do with the quality of journalism -- I mean even totally predating USA Today -- find and read "The Paper: The Life & Death of the New York Herald Tribune" (New York: Knopf, 1986). I read it when it was new my third year at OSU.